Latest Upload :

Mathematical Entertainments

Mathematical Entertainments





Introduction

My reasons  for  writing this  book may very well  con-
tain  a  clue  for  its  understanding  and  enjoyment.
First,  there  are  a  great  many  beautiful and  elegant
facts  and  proofs  in mathematics, which  are  published  in
widely varying  places, if  at all.  I  would  like  to  shout
about  these  problems from the  housetops,  but  have chosen
the  more dignified, and  probably more efficacious,  method
of writing a  book about  them.
Second,  many  people consider  mathematics  to  be a
very boring, complicated  subject.  I  hope  to  show  that
some  facets  of mathematics  can  be quite  simple and  in-
teresting,  although they  are  not  obviously  so  at first
glance.
Third,  some  of the  most beautiful solutions of prob-
lems,  of which  I,  alas,  am  not  the  originator,  do  not
appear anywhere to the  best of my knowledge. Many I  am
familiar  with due  only to  the  tenacious  memory  and
varied  experience  of M. W. Green.*
All of the  problems and  notes  in this  book have,  at
one  time  or another,  interested  me  very much,  and  I
would  like  to think  the  reader also  may be fascinated  by
them.
Some  people may find  that  many problems appear to
be missing. Undoubtedly  the  collection  is  incomplete,  but
all  the  problems I  know  of,  and  consider  clever  in some
sense  or another,  are  represented.  Most of them  can  be
done mentally; none of them  requires  more than a  single
sheet  of paper.  Some  of the  items  treated  here are  well
known, but  presented in a  different  way to  illuminate  a
different  facet.  I  earnestly hope this  book will  be received
as it  was  intended, namely,  to furnish pleasant  relaxation
and  to show  that  mathematics can  be beautiful.
No  preface  is  complete  without  thanks  being  ex-
pressed to the  "person  without whom  this  book could  not
have been written." In the  present case, I  wish to thank
my wife.

DOWNLOAD

Share this article :

Enregistrer un commentaire

 
Support :